Thursday, August 20, 2009

8/21- Justice


Devotional using scripture, quote from John Calvin and thoughts for the day each day- on the 500th anniversary of Calvin's birth.

6 With what shall I come before the LORD
and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?

7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousand rivers of oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

8 He has shown all you people what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.


Calvin: "Whenever you hear God's glory mentioned, think of his justice. For whatever deserves praise must be just." (III.23.8)

Thought: Justice too often centers around our ideals because of our own selfishness. Our cause can be another name for our selfishness if our idealism is not unchecked. Calvin rightly connected God's glory with ultimate justice. For the One who made everything is the final arbiter between good and evil, justice and injustice.

Prayer: Lord help us to work for your justice, but even more improtantly, help us to submit to your justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment