Thursday, June 11, 2009

6/11- Calvin and Calling

(Isaiah by Raphael- his call)
6/11/09 Calvin and Calling

Then I heard a voice calling, Who will go for us…and I said, ‘Here am I send me.’” (Isaiah 6).
10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.(II Peter 1:10,11)
31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.(I Cor. 10:31)

But there is the good witness of our heart that we receive the proffered office not with ambition or avarice, not with any other selfish desire, but with a sincere fear of God and desire to build up the church. That is indeed necessary for each one of us (as I have said) if we would have our ministry approved by God. (I.3.11)

According to Calvin, there is an outer call- given by the church, and an inner call- given by the Holy Spirit. Every Christian is called by our God and reminded in our baptism to glorify God. We are all called to go to God and heaven. But God has called everyone to honor Him with our lives and our work (our vocation). There is a purpose in what we do. There is an illusion that only missionaries, ministers, or professionals like doctors, lawyers or teachers are called. But engineers, fire fighters, police workers, mechanics, city sanitation workers are not. But we are all called to work together for God’s glory. In this sense, Calvin gave rise and meaning to the middle class, and feudalism was doomed. God calls all to work for Him, and calls some to do his special work.
I remember a reporter on NPR making fun of President G.W. Bush saying that he believed God called him to be president. But she didn’t understand God doesn’t call necessarily verbally, but often through providence (putting someone at the right place and right time, giving them gifts), the inner call, and the outer call (election of the people/boss). Obama also talked about God’s call upon him. God does call us, not just to important jobs, but to everyday tasks.

Prayer: This day, Lord, let me hear your voice calling me to honor you with my work, my all today.

No comments:

Post a Comment